Sony A7III Full Spectrum - Review

R

Rob

How do you like the Manfrotto Xume magnetic filter system? Looks awesome.

Last edited by a moderator:

Infra-Edd

Gold
How do you like the Manfrotto Zune magnetic filter system? Looks awesome.
I like it for when I want to switch wavelengths a lot in one day. When I am shooting the same scene with various filters on the tripod it's great for switching quickly, avoiding the long gap between shots and cloud movement for example. It does make lens choice a little fiddly however as you need to choose lenses with all the same filter size. The other issue is that it can add a little vignetting on wider lenses too.

R

Rob

In watching your video, they looked amazingly easy to use for my next full spectrum conversion. However, the 3 primes I use for IR all have different filter thread sizes. I could switch to a zoom to standardize the thread size, but the only zoom that works for IR on my system would have lower IQ. :confused:

Infra-Edd

Gold
Yes, it makes this issue worse. It's hard enough to find good lenses for IR, but then pigeon hole your choices further is not great. I don't think that step up rings would be a nice solution here, so what I went with is sticking to a small set of primes. I would have liked to use the Olympus OM 24/2.8, Sony/Zeiss FE 55/1.8 and Olympus OM 100/2.8 - these all use 49mm filters and was roughly what I was showing, but the Olympus lenses are either soft or have bad corners, despite having amazingly low IR light contamination. The Nikkor 24/2.8 pre-AI is a better IR lens and better in the corners too, but that's a 52mm filter... ergh... it's not easy!

Infra-Edd

Gold
Just looking at the picture I posted above - the Konica lenses are a good solution for this as many are great for IR. Most share the 55mm thread (not the size I chose) and some of them are pretty sharp for IR. This 21mm is great (although not cheap). Neither of their 24/2.8 lenses are not great for IR unfortunately. The smaller 35/2.8 is rare. The 40/1.8 is only ok for IR although it is super cheap and very sharp! Most of their 50's are pretty good, although the 57/1.2 & 135/2.5 lenses are amazing for IR and decently sharp they have larger filters :(.

Z

zmashiah

I wish this review would have been released before I did my conversion to brand new A7iii with Kolari. So although I switched completely to Sony gear now all over, I could probably convert my Canon 5D IV instead of purchasing the A7iii.

The biggest issue I did not realize back then is the short list (to almost none) the can fit well the IR.
Currently I only use the FE 24-70 f/4 lens (not perfect but works quite well in many scenarios). After buying many filters I am now using the STC clip filters Craig was mentioning on FB group. I have both Sony FE 12-24 f/4 G lens and Sony FE 16-35 f/2.8 GM lenses and non actually fits. Any aperture closer than F/5.6 adding drastic center hot-spot and cast in the hot-spot as well. The portrait lens, FE 85mm f/1.8 works fine for very open aperture. Arguably that's all you need it for. I did some short test to the Tamron 17-28mm f/2.8 E mount lens, and it worked just fine from live-view and later checking on the computer. No guarantee though! I also have the FE 90mm f/2.8 Macro lens, and it seems to be fine.

One more silly bug I found with Sony is that it has a live-view display option with effect and without (Purple top menu screen #6 Live View Display). When set to on, you would see the image with right white balance which is great (non swapped channels of course). In very high contrast scenarios, I like to turn it off, so that I balance the exposure out of histogram but the live-view is brighter than actual shot, and it helps me pin the composition on the darker areas (i.e. sunset/sunrise). When in this mode, the white-balance is back to some odd visual light setting I guess, maybe AWB, and the image looks RED or something else. I sometimes use the camera for astro too, and it took me some time to figure out what happened to the white-balance. Fun :)