Infrared-Photography with Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mk3

saltemohn

Hello there :)

I've tried to start with IR-Photography a few days ago. At first my equipment: Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mk3 with Olympus 14-42mm objective and Zomei IR 850 nm 37 mm filter.
My problem: Following to the tutorials I found in the internet, I should get a red image with such filters. But mine is purple / pink / blue, depending on the exposure time. I tried f/4.0, ISO 100 and 30-60 seconds shutter speed, but no matter what settings I use, it stays the same. Also the post-processing recommended in the tutorials either had no effect or the picture simply turned black / white.

Because the files are much too big for the attachment, I uploaded 2 pictures into the dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/r75wybxcrohp0yh/AACw57v9hUftYVPgEyHEygO3a?dl=0

I hope you can help me find the problem :) I don't want to have the camera modified so that the blocking filter comes out.

Greetings,
saltemohn

Craig

Administrator
Staff member
Gold
Hi Saltemohn,

Welcome to the Forum, so glad to have you.

Well, you've certainly kind of given us a hard problem. The one thing that really makes things rough is not having a Modded
Camera, which I'm sure you know. So, after saying that after looking at your DropBox pics I see that your Histogram is pretty blown out
which makes it where you don't have any depth of details and tones. One thing that you might try is to bump up the ISO, with it being at 100 it's just making your exposure too long. Also, if you could try and set a custom white balance using something "Green" even using a "Green Pic" on your Computer. I'll add a file that as it. Also, it looked like your focus was off so you'll have to pre-focus without the filter if you can see through using live view and you'll need a tripod for the longer exposure time.

I was a little confused with your statement about "Also the post-processing recommended in the tutorials either had no effect or the picture simply turned black / white." you do realize that the 830nm is for B&W images , Correct.

Try these things then let's see what you come up with. I'll bet we can get you where you want but it's going to require some
compromises like blur due to the long shutter.

Here;s the best I could get, had to really work the Red and Blue Channels as they were out of limits on over-exposed

Test IR Image pp.jpg

Also here's the Green Card I was telling you about , you can try to set you Custom White Balance with it and it will help
with your Exposure and Image Quality

Green Card Zone V  .jpg

Take care,

Craig

Last edited:

saltemohn

Hi Craig,
Thank you very much for your answer! I already thought that it wouldn't be very easy :D I'll try your tips tomorrow. Regarding to the 850nm filter: I thought it would be for color infrared pictures too, but meanwhile I've seen that I need a 680nm for those pictures.

Greetings,
saltemohn

Craig

Administrator
Staff member
Gold
Hi Craig,
Thank you very much for your answer! I already thought that it wouldn't be very easy :D I'll try your tips tomorrow. Regarding to the 850nm filter: I thought it would be for color infrared pictures too, but meanwhile I've seen that I need a 680nm for those pictures.

Greetings,
saltemohn
Hi Saltemohn,

LOL Nothings Easy it seems like !!! But it's certainly doable but it does have it limits and limitations. After saying that sometimes the look reminds me of IR Film that has a lot of glow to it.

Well, unfortunately that's not the Function of the wavelength of that filter, it's look is White Foliage and Nice Dark Tones in Sky/ Things
The Lower Wavelength are more for bringing in Color to the images.

I shoot with a 590nm modded camera so the look that I'm after is Golden Yellow Foliage and Blue Skies. That's not to say I can't post process it to be like a 720nm Filter which traditionally has White Foliage and Blue Skies, but it can also be converted to the look of 830/850nm with Post Processing.

Look forward to seeing what you come up with, Take Care,

Craig

saltemohn

Hello Craig,
Sorry for my late reply. I've tried your tips in the last days and also bought a 720nm filter. The pictures are much better now!

Thank you very much,
Greetings,
saltemohn

Craig

Administrator
Staff member
Gold
Hi Saltemohn,

That sounds promising, hope it's made things a little easier /better for you .

Look forward to seeing what you come up with

Take Care,

Craig