Gary Rubin Test Image

Hi Craig,
Thanks for testing. So, to follow up with our very brief FB conversation:

First, resampling is the act of taking an image and changing the number of pixels in that image.
For example, a 2000px x 3000px image can be resampled to 1000px x 1500px.
It can be a simple act of decimation (if you are reducing the number of pixels by 1/2, 1/3, 1/4, 1/5, etc). It can be a more complex process using interpolation if your resize is something other than an integer division.

This is the Resample/Resize window in IrfanView (a great free image viewer/editor, btw).

1585061212292.png

As for the image that you posted above, you did a "Copy Image" from what I posted on FB. The original for that image was 3781px x 3576px. When I did a "Save Picture" from FB, what it saved was 960px x 907px. Presumably, that's what you posted above. It makes sense that FB is resampling/shrinking photos, since they're mostly being displayed in much smaller screens than could display all of the pixels in the full image. In fact, the only reason you'd want/need all those pixels is for display on a 4k screen, printing or to support zooming without loss of detail.

So, that leads me back to my comment about the forum. I export at full res, but not at full quality (i.e. I use JPEG compression settings to ensure that the files are not small, at the loss of some image quality). One could argue that there is no reason to export at full resolution per my comment above about screens not displaying all the pixels. As it is, though, if I want to post one of my images that I exported at full-res on this forum, I need to either re-export a resampled version from Lightroom, or I need to open and resample my original export in something like IrfanView to perform a resample. In either case, I need to create a 2nd version of my photo in order to post it here.

Attachments

Huh, it appears that I am now able to upload larger images than I could before. So maybe all that in my previous post is moot.
This attachment is a 4898x3265 and it seems to be allowed.

I guess I have no excuses for not using this forum anymore!

Attachments

Craig

Administrator
Staff member
Gold
Huh, it appears that I am now able to upload larger images than I could before. So maybe all that in my previous post is moot.
This attachment is a 4898x3265 and it seems to be allowed.

I guess I have no excuses for not using this forum anymore!
Morning Gary, I think it's allowing you to upload that image size , but ...............it's constraining it to the 1400 x 1400 pixel settings

Not sure why it balked on you before, might have been file size as I think it was capped at 1.5, and had it opened up.

Also, interesting that your file that your attached is that big of a image size has such a small file size 376K ?

Anyway, if it works for you is all that's important !!!

Take care,

Craig