Full spectrum conversion questions

Hali

Forum Supporter
Gold
I just ordered a full spectrum conversion and now have a few questions mostly concerning white balance - with my Sony that was set to 720 I had the white balance set to the lowest K temperature and just left it there. What do people here do for FS conversions for hot mirror and for the different filters?
Thanks in advance

Hali

Craig

Administrator
Staff member
Gold
Hi Hali,

What camera system did you have modded that will be what the determining factor for setting a Custom White Balance. To me anyway.

Green for 720nm and Up and Gray for anything below has always been what I've used .

For the Hot Mirror, I'd used the Auto Function on my Little Oly and then in Post Processing ran it through PS CC Camera RAW Filter.
Or you could just set a CWB on something White.

Take Care,

Craig

Infra-Edd

Gold
Hey Hali,

I have full spectrum Sony A7/A7III cameras and tend to use 4 filters frequently, so the 3 preset WB settings work well for this. I have a video showing this here (you should be able to see the K settings and offsets here):

You can also see my full reviews of each camera here if you'd like to read more about the details:

Sony A7 - Review
Sony A7III - Review

Craig

Administrator
Staff member
Gold
Hey Hali,

I have full spectrum Sony A7/A7III cameras and tend to use 4 filters frequently, so the 3 preset WB settings work well for this. I have a video showing this here (you should be able to see the K settings and offsets here):

You can also see my full reviews of each camera here if you'd like to read more about the details:

Sony A7 - Review
Sony A7III - Review

Thanks very Much Edd, Appreciate all your help !!!

Take Care,

Craig

Hali

Forum Supporter
Gold
Hey Hali,

Sony A7 - Review
Sony A7III - Review
Hi Edd! That was great! I really appreciate the help. I have to explore if my Canon RP allows me to save different WB settings because that would be the best. Which 4 filters are you using most often. We just came back from Death Valley and the whole full spectrum thing was new to me, I found I used the hot mirror, the 665, and the 720 the most often.

Infra-Edd

Gold
You're welcome Hali! Oh I bet Death Valley is great for infrared! The most used filters for me are:
830nm (B+W 093)
Hot Mirror (Kolari)
IR Chrome (Kolari)
590nm (Hoya r25a)