Filter over a 590nm

chasgroh

I have a 590nm conversion on a Sony A7. I did it because I wanted full frame *and* mirrorless advantages. I have two other conversions, a 720nm Nikon D70s and a 590nm D300. I like the color benefits of 590 (hence my choice for the A7) but love the 720 look also. I know, shoulda gone with a full spectrum. That said, can I run a 720nm filter over my 590 and get that look?

Craig

Administrator
Staff member
Gold
Hi,

Yes, you can, and also you can post process for 720nm with your 590nm image. Just takes a little piddling and playing around.
The rule is you can go above in nm but not down so from a 590nm you can put on a 665nm, 720nm, or 850nm, but can't say put on a 470nm or anything lower than the original filter wavelength.

Not sure if you've gotten the Kolari Vision PS Actions one of them when worked a couple of times will take a 590nm image and gain the look of the 720nm with White Foliage and Blue Skies.

If you don't have it let me know, I'll post the link.

Take Care,

Craig

chasgroh

Hi,

Yes, you can, and also you can post process for 720nm with your 590nm image. Just takes a little piddling and playing around.
The rule is you can go above in nm but not down so from a 590nm you can put on a 665nm, 720nm, or 850nm, but can't say put on a 470nm or anything lower than the original filter wavelength.

Not sure if you've gotten the Kolari Vision PS Actions one of them when worked a couple of times will take a 590nm image and gain the look of the 720nm with White Foliage and Blue Skies.

If you don't have it let me know, I'll post the link.

Take Care,

Craig
Thanks, Craig. I'd like to try the Kolari Action(s)...*all* of 'em, lol...link would be appreciated. You say "...one of them, worked a couple of times..." does that mean, like, stacking 'em? Or the same one?

Craig

Administrator
Staff member
Gold
Hi Charlie,

Here's the link I usually have PS CC opened up and it will load it automatically into your Actions and it will be at the very bottom of the List

https://kolarivision.com/post-infrared-photo-editing/automated-false-color-action-for-photoshop/

I've had to kind of run the "590nm to 720nm" a couple of time or even more , seems like sometimes
the image just kind of doesn't want to convert over and if that's the case sometimes I even go into Hues/Sat and move the Slider over
to one side or another and then run it again, thus the playing around >

Take Care,

Craig