Deer

Infra-Edd

Gold
This image was stitched together from 12 images, shot on the Nikkor 135mm f/2 DC lens (Sony A7 + 830nm IR filter), wide open.

16684509882_fd04bfa29e_k.jpg

Went for a walk in Richmond park with the wife today and was glad to have the 135mm lens on me when I saw these guys. This was about as close as I was willing to get to those antlers. The deer in the foreground was just about filling the frame and I wanted to get the tree on the right in frame too, so decided to attempt a bokeh panorama. Of course they moved a bit during the shots, so I had to do some corrective retouching, but it came out surprisingly tidy.

Equivalent to single image from a 58mm f/0.86 lens (ff)

Craig

Administrator
Staff member
Gold
Love the Perspective and the Composition is great with all of them in a Row. I agree the Tree really finished it off nicely.
Well done Edd !!!

Infra-Edd

Gold
Thanks very much Craig! This was a lot of fun to be able to shoot, as well as a little scary 😛

Hali

Gold
Dang Edd! These wildlife images are fabulous! On a side note, every time I see one of your Bokeh panorama's I want to try them! I will have to give it a try next time I go out shooting if I can find a good subject.

Quick question-How do you compensate for the movement of the deer (or leaves or anything that moves in them?) and how fast do you shoot it? I'm guessing you use full manual?

Infra-Edd

Gold
Thanks very much Hali! If your subject is moving then shoot as fast as you can. Try bumping up the iso if you need to. It won't matter as much as you'd expect as you'll be zooming out from that anyway. A bit of foliage blowing in the wind won't matter too much.

I have 6 pages of info / tutorials here if you'd like to know more about how I shoot them: https://www.edwardnoble.com/bokehpano

Reactions: Rob

Hali

Gold
Thanks very much Hali! If your subject is moving then shoot as fast as you can. Try bumping up the iso if you need to. It won't matter as much as you'd expect as you'll be zooming out from that anyway. A bit of foliage blowing in the wind won't matter too much.

I have 6 pages of info / tutorials here if you'd like to know more about how I shoot them: https://www.edwardnoble.com/bokehpano
Thank you for the link and the information! I am definitely going to read that and try it the next time I shoot!

Infra-Edd

Gold
Thank you for the link and the information! I am definitely going to read that and try it the next time I shoot!
What are your fastest lenses btw? The chart I did for this can be a bit overwhelming:

Capture.JPG

NutHatch

Gold
This is one of the best photos (IR or not) that I have ever seen. I have a Sony a77II and could never get below 4 minute exposure for an 830nm filter. How do you all do it? I am seeing some amazing photographs on this site and feel very fortunate to have found it and be accepted. I hope I learn some things from you all.
Gary K

Infra-Edd

Gold
Thanks very much Gary!
I used to get shutter speeds like that with my Nikon D3. To get normal speeds you need to get your camera converted. Some cameras can't shoot infrared at all without conversion because IR is blocked by the camera's low pass filter. You can have your camera's internal filter switched for an infrared one, so it only shoots that wavelength, without the need for external filters (better for DSLRs).

What I did on this camera however was to not replace the internal filter with anything (full spectrum conversion). This allows you to shoot normal colour, UV, any near-IR wavelegth or a combination of any of those. This is much better on mirrorless cameras. It requires external filters (which has it's own downsides), but it means you have the flexibility in a single camera which I love for travelling.

I hope that helps, but if you need any other info please feel free to ask.

nurWolfgang

Hello Edd

an excellent picture I would not have recognized that it is stitched together If you would not mentioned it,
well done, as well as your tutorial, may be I try one day.

The deers must be very tame that you could come so close, in my area I come that go 🙄

regards

Wolfgang

Infra-Edd

Gold
Hello Edd

an excellent picture I would not have recognized that it is stitched together If you would not mentioned it,
well done, as well as your tutorial, may be I try one day.

The deers must be very tame that you could come so close, in my area I come that go 🙄

regards

Wolfgang
Thanks very much Wolfgang!

The deer are pretty tame in this park, probably because it's very close to London so there are people here all the time.