Carl Zeiss Planar 85mm f/1.4 ZF-IR

Infra-Edd

Gold
I had been keeping an eye out for one of the three Zeiss lenses with special infrared coatings (25mm, 50mm, 85mm) to become available to buy for a few years. They were discontinued by Zeiss in 2015, I think, so when I saw this one come up on Ebay I jumped at the chance of owning one (despite the rather high price):

48310599232_ca0a488654_o (1).jpg

What I didn't realise (until I received it) was that it was a prototype version. Making it even more rare than the "normal" IR versions. This meant that there was no locking mechanisms on the lenses focus and aperture ring, but I didn't need or want that anyway.

You can see my longer review of the lens, with some samples, here . This lens has almost zero hotspot (although it does have a blue one in visible light). It is amazing, although I have found a few longer focal length lenses that are pretty good for IR over the years. I am not really interested in the 50mm version because the Zeiss FE 55mm f/1.8 ZA lens is so good for IR, is sharper, autofocus and doesn't need an adapter. I am however still looking for the 25mm ZF-IR lens because wide lenses that are good for IR are extremely rare! The older Nikkor and Olympus 24mm lenses are pretty good for IR, but they're not great in the corners (Nikkor is better), especially for lower wavelength / colour IR.

Craig

Administrator
Staff member
Gold
WOW what a Special Find Edd, that's so cool can't wait to see your review and images from it.