A7 WB

chasgroh

I've had this A7 body (590nm) for awhile and generally like it alot. But the WB thing keeps me crazy, I can't seem to get a good starting point. For example, on Sean's vids he *starts* with lush colors yet recommends not to worry about setting WB in camera. So, should I set my camera WB at auto? I've been using 2700k. My skies are washed out to begin with in LR, then I apply "the" profile (I think this is a huge factor and have made several) and end up having to deal with a monochrome sky.

Craig

Administrator
Staff member
Gold
Hi Charlie,

Do you try to set you Custom White Balance with a Gray Card ???

Everyone has their own thoughts and opinions on CWB, I am in the camp that tries to set it for
each change in lighting or location. To me, that makes it where my Post Processing technique stays
very, very close to the same for each image. It's a night and day difference to me of messing with trying
to work images later

It only takes 5-10 seconds , so in my mind why wouldn't you.

Also, do you use PS CC to post process with ?

Take Care,

CK

chasgroh

I *have* but have prolly over-read and have been inundated with this or that technique...I just want to stabilize, like you apparently have. I do use PS CC and can drag out some OK results, but it's a lot of work! Also, I've been experimenting with filters over my native 590nm, particularly a 720 but I have an 830 on the way...this sh*t complicates it even more!

Craig

Administrator
Staff member
Gold
Uh Huh, Nothings Simple is it.

can you post one of your images that you've tried to work on here and let me take a look.

With the CWB with a Gray Card, the K Value should be at 2700 which is it's lowest as you've already have seen but............it's actually lower than that.

I'd like a RAW File but a JPG of what the RAW File Looks like.

Or you can Send me a RAW File here's my email ckirk1952@gmail.com you can send it through email or dropbox

Take Care,

Craig

chasgroh

...I've been shooting 2700 pretty much all the time, Craig...today I tried a few at auto just to see...I'll put one of the one's up that bugged me, gimme some time...I'll send you that RAW via email...

Craig

Administrator
Staff member
Gold
Sounds good, but setting it on 2700K and doing a Custom White Balance on a Gray Card is
a different thing. Close but not the same, as I'd written it will only show 2700K as that's the lowest it knows.
Look forward to seeing the file, hope you'll send a 590nm so I can see if I can get the Colors, 720nm doesn't have the
same amount of lattitude to work with.

We'll get there , I promise !!!

Take Care,

CK